Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)




Annual assessments

1. When are annual assessments due?

Owners are required to pay their annual assessments no later than March 1st of each year.

2. What is the policy if I am late paying my annual assessment?

Payments received after March 16th  are subject to a penalty.  A $40.00 late fee will be applied per month until the fees are paid.

3. What forms of payment can be used to pay the Homeowners assessments?

Your assessments can be paid by check or money order.  We do not accept cash payments or credit card payments.  We currently cannot accept online payment with an e-check or credit card.  

Architectural Control

1. Where can I find additional information on architectural control policies and procedures?

Architectural control policies and procedures can be located at our web site under Management/Governing Documents.

2. What is the process for gaining Architectural Control Committee (ACC) approval?

All building and landscaping must follow the covenants, NCDNR storm water rules and the ACC code.  Any proposed work must be presented to the ACC for approval.

Board of Directors

1. How do I contact the Board?

You can contact the Board by one of three methods.  You can call (252) 632-0711 and leave a message; send to an email to:, or mail us at: BRDOAI, P.O. Box 14, Merry Hill, NC 27957.  Email is the preferred method. 

Common properties

 1. What are the common properties?

The HOA manages three parcels of land identified as common properties.  The first property is best known as the “water access area.”  This area is available to all owners and provides access to the Chowan River.  The second property consists of our two private roads (Rice Pond and Swan View); the bicycle path and land which is part of the storm water runoff plan; the third property is a lot located at the front entrance of the community.

2. Can I reserve the water access area for a private function?

Owners may reserve the water access area for a private function.  Contact the Board at least 60 days in advance to coordinate. 

Governing Documents

1. Where can I find a copy of the governing documents?

The governing documents can be located on this web site.


1. Does the HOA carry insurance on our homes/cars?

No, the homeowners insurance policy does not cover any damage done to your home or car, unless the damage was caused by association staff. 

2. If a home is vandalized or burglarized do the HOA dues pay for any damages that may occur?

No, you would have to contact your insurance company in this situation.


1. I own a vacant lot.  What are my responsibilities for maintaining the grass?

Each owner is responsible for maintaining the grounds of their lot, including, but not limited to controlling excessive weeds, grass growth and unsightly trash.  Grass should be mowed as frequently as necessary to maintain grass height not to exceed four inches.  In the event that any lot is neglected and uncared for through failure of an individual owner to maintain their property, the HOA has the right to provide necessary maintenance and hold the owner liable for the cost. 

2. My bulkhead/pier was damaged during a recent storm.   Am I required to make repairs in a certain amount of time?

Once installed, it is the responsibility of property owners to maintain, repair and replace the bulkhead.  Repairs should be done in a reasonable amount of time.  Should the property owner fail to properly maintain the bulkhead, the HOA may take action ensuring repairs are made. Property owners will be liable for all costs if the HOA has to take action to rectify a bulkhead problem.

3. Do I need HOA permission to remove a tree?

Unless the tree is located within five feet of a building or a parking area, no tree, shrub, bush or other vegetation having a trunk diameter of six inches or more at a point of four feet above ground level shall be cut, removed or mutilated without prior approval of the HOA.  Healthy trees must be replaced by the owner.


1. When is the annual HOA meeting?

The annual HOA meeting is open to all association members.  The annual meeting is held on the first Saturday in December. 

2.  When and how often does the Board of Directors meet?

The Board meets several times during the year.   We will use the newsletter and/or email to announce upcoming Board meetings. 

3.  Can owners attend the Board of Directors meetings?

Owners are afforded an opportunity to attend a Board meeting to personally discuss issues or areas of concern.  Due to space limitations the Board requests advance notice.  Simply send an email to the Board requesting time at the next Board meeting.


1. If there are stray animals in our yard or flower beds do we call the HOA to have them removed?

If you do not know whom these animals belong to, you need to call the Bertie County Animal/Litter Control.  Their telephones number is (252) 794-5340.  After normal duty hours (8:30 to 5:00) you can call 794-5330 (Bertie County Sheriff’s Office).  If you know who the animal’s owner is, the HOA can send them a letter to remind them of the rules regarding animals.

2.  What is the procedure for gaining permission to have an open fire on my property?

No outside burning of wood, leaves, trash garbage or household refuse is permitted, unless the owner of the property gains HOA approval and acquires a burning permit from Bertie County.

Owner contact information

1. How do I update my owner information?

Maintaining current contact information with the Board is vitally important.  This includes telephone numbers, email addresses and mailing address.  The preferred method for providing updated information is by sending an email to:

2. How is the owner contact information used?

Owner contact information is used solely to assist the Board.  The information is not shared with any outside entities. 

Storm Water Runoff

1. Can I divert water by digging a ditch or using underground piping?

No lot owner shall in any way impede, obstruct, or change the direction of the natural flow of storm water runoff.  This includes placement of any culverts or drainage devices on or under the lot.  Owners confronting a runoff issue should contact the HOA and seek guidance on how best to address the matter.